Chilli, Ginger and Garlic Tempura Squid
There isn’t much that beats crispy squid, especially with the enhanced flavours of ginger, chilli, sweet baby spring onions and garlic!
If you have a deep fryer at home this would be ideal, however, for those of you who don’t you can fry in a wok or pot on the stove. Just make sure that your oil is hot enough to allow the tempura batter to crisp and turn a delicious golden brown. Optimum temperature is about 180 degrees. When the squid is cooked it should float to the top. A handy tip for working with hot oil on the stove is to allow the tempura batter to coat your fingers, this will protect them against any splashes when placing the squid into the hot oil.
- 1 pack of Greenfish Squid (tubes and heads)
- Tempura Flour (I purchased mine from Woolworths)
- 250ml ice cold water
- 4-6 baby Spring Onions
- 1 medium Hot Red Chilli
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 small stick of Ginger
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil (can substitute with canola or sunflower).
- 1 Lemon
- 1 bottle Canola / Sunflower oil for frying
- Defrost and drain the squid in a colander.
- Using paper towel pat off any excess water.
- Cut the spring onion and chilli finely and set aside.
- Cut the garlic cloves into paper thin slices and set aside.
- Cut the ginger into small cubes and set aside.
- In a bowl mix together 200g of the tempura flour with the 250ml ice cold water to form the batter. It is normal for the batter to have a few lumps visible.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer or on the stove to approximately 180 degrees.
- Coat squid in the batter.
- Carefully place a test piece in the heated oil. The squid should immediately start frying and float to the top when done. The batter should go crisp and golden.
- Fry all of the squid and place in a bowl lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Once all the squid has been fried set aside for later.
- In a separate wok or large frying pan fry the spring onions, chilli, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper in the sesame oil allowing the flavours to release, but being careful not to burn.
- Add the tempura fried squid you have set aside and toss with the spices allowing the flavours to absorb into the squid.
- Squeeze some lemon juice over and serve with a side of Sushi Mayonnaise or Wasabi Mayonnaise.