Crispy Crumbed Hake
This recipe is so incredibly simple yet so utterly delicious! I adapted this recipe which I stole from my mother’s cook book. So in due time I shall also be sharing the original version which is for crumbed soles: stay tuned!
But for now, all I can say to this one is… you’re welcome!
- 2 x Hake Fillets
- 1/2 Cup Cornflake Crumbs (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE)
- Salt & Pepper
- Shards of butter (approx 2-3 Tbsp)
- If you are using frozen hake fillets, you can allow them to defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil and grease with spray and cook.
- Pat dry the fillets on both sides and place on the baking tray skin side down.
- Season the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cornflake crumbs over the fillets (about 1/4 cup per fillet). Use your finger or the back of a spoon to evenly coat.
- Slice thin shards of butter and evenly space over the fillets.
- Switch the grill on to low and place the tray under the grill for approximately 2 minutes allowing the butter to melt.
- Once the butter has melted remove from the oven and add extra shards of butter to any areas that have been missed and remained dry.
- Place the tray back under the grill, this time on a medium heat setting on the second shelf from the top.
- Grill for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
- The crumbs should be a nice golden colour.
- Serve immediately with a side or two of your choice.
- On a side note I love to add a bit of pink sauce to my hake, for those of you who also do, I will include this in the notes below.
- 2 Tbsp Mayo
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chutney
- (mix all together)